Part of the project involved custom WordPress development that allowed the client to maintain a content slider on the homepage. We had to find a way that allowed the client enough flexibility to customise the slider. We developed a plugin that added a new WordPress admin panel to the site, allowing the client to easily maintain a content slider. A user guide was written to help the client manage and use the new WordPress plugin moving forwards.
When we started working improving the website we noticed that an outdated version of jQuery was being loaded from inside the theme. As of WordPress 3.4, the latest stable release of jQuery is included in by default. We removed the old version and loaded in the version that is shipped with WordPress.
When looking through the theme files we noticed a number of inline styles being used. This is bad practice as the inline styles prevent site-wide styles from being applied, resulting in inconsistent styling.
The website originally had a search box and social media icons to the right of the main navigation and there wasn’t enough space for everything to fit. We updated the social media icons and moved them to the top of the website and removed the search bar to give the main navigation more space.
The drop-down menu was badly coded and needed a redesign to improve usability. When a visitor hovered over a menu item, the submenu would partially hide the top-level menu options, making it impossible to access certain areas of the website. There were styling issues that caused the menu to break in some browsers, so theses issues were also resolved.